Don’t I look super happy and enthusiastic in that photo?! No? You’re right, I don’t. That’s because I was ready to kill somebody.
We got a new dog. Her name is Coco and she’s a rescue dog from the SSPCA. We love her already. She’s very loving and affectionate, but she’s definitely scared of missing anything and is desperately trying to prove herself to our other, older dog Jack. She tries to play fight with him at every opportunity, and is eagerly making herself at home. Jack is very patient with her, bless him. I think if I was him, I’d have gone all Cujo on her already. What a good big brother he is.
Last night was Coco’s first night at home and because Jack sleeps in the same room as Derek and I, Coco had to come too of course! It started well, but only an hour into bedtime, she had pushed Jack out of his bed, peed all over it, had him sleeping by the door, and decided her rightful bed was in the middle of our brand-new king size.
Cue almost three hours worth of begging Coco to get off the bed, which she happily ignored. Poor Jack finally left the room and I was ready for tearing my hair out. We managed to finally get her onto the floor, where she found her bone and chewed loudly on that for the next hour. I finally fell asleep at 5am. I woke up for work at 7:30. I was not a well-rested Amy, let’s just leave it at that.
So, without further ado, please find a list of some of the deep (and not-so-deep), sleepy thoughts I had last night, between the hours of midnight and 5am.
- What a waste of time sleep is. The average human being wastes 1/3 of their life sleeping. Imagine how many things you could get done in that time. You could learn multiple languages, watch all the TV shows you wanted, write novels, become a virtuoso musician at any instrument you wanted, and instead we waste that time watching weird and nonsensical stories inside our head whilst our bodies rest and recover. How annoying.
- Is it normal for staffies to breathe so loudly? It definitely sounds like Coco has something stuck up her nose. I’m going to Google that tomorrow.
- When do the clocks go back? Or do they go forward? Does that mean we lose an hour or gain an hour? I understand why we need to do it, but it’s kind of annoying this whole changing timezones thing. What is time anyway? Why is it so important to us? Surely animals don’t care about time. They don’t measure their lives in minutes, do they? What a boring way to live, when you really think about it. If you always worry about the time then you’ll forget to live in the moment, won’t you?
- In Iceland, they spend half of the year in 24-hour sunlight. How magical. I like the sound of that.
- But then the other half of the year is 24-hour darkness. That sounds horrific.
- Derek will be such a good dad when we have kids. Look at him lying on the floor next to this stupid puppy in an attempt to get her to sleep. I don’t know who is cuter.
- It’s Coco. Coco is definitely cuter.
- Maybe I should put a movie on. I haven’t seen Juno in a while.
- What’s that movie when the girl makes the magic cakes and there’s a magic crab? I think Sarah Michelle Gellar is in it. I’ll Google that too.
- I want cake. Is 3:35 an acceptable time to have cake? Probably not.
- I’m going to get the Lemon and Raspberry cake the next time I see it in the Coffee Bar at work.
- I’m hungry.
- Oh, never mind. I’m now feeling a bit sick because Coco is farting like her life depends on it.
- She’s up and moving. Oh God, I can’t take much more of this.
- She’s back on the bed and I don’t have the energy to get her off. She’s snuggling in. I should put her back on the floor but I’m so tired and….zzzzzz.
Hope you all got more sleep than I did last night! Dogs are so annoying but the best snuggle buddies ever.
PS: Two blog posts in two days! Aren’t you guys spoiled? Seriously though, I’m loving this getting back into writing thing, even if my posts are casual and a bit rambly. Maybe that’s what I need! :)
PPS: Sorry for any spelling or grammar errors. I am very tired.